Written by Staff Writer
Karting driver Harry Aikines-Aryeetey has been placed under investigation after reportedly allegedly attacking another competitor in a competition in England earlier this week.
Aikines-Aryeetey is reportedly suspected of striking Josh Schofield during the race at Manchester’s Emirates Airline Arena. The 28-year-old suspended himself from competition following the incident and has been warned to stop the alleged incident from happening again.
“Harry’s leaving the series at the end of the season and is moving on to other opportunities,” said a spokeswoman for the Karting UK Race Control Board.
Aikines-Aryeetey completed one lap in the race after the alleged incident. The FIA said it was investigating and has given the drivers involved three weeks to review the video before carrying out any further action.
The Karting UK Board told CNN Travel: “We have not received any official reports on the matter.”
Monday’s race was held to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the first Karting British Grand Prix — also known as the Nestle Derby — at Donnington Park in Derbyshire. Sunday’s event will honor the 500th anniversary of the birth of Thomas Appleton, the racing driver who is credited with popularizing the sport worldwide.
The scenes aren’t the first time Aikines-Aryeetey has faced controversy. He was disqualified from a Formula 4 race in Belgium last year after breaking race control’s off-limits zone during a scuffle with fellow competitor Adnan Akash.
Aikines-Aryeetey told his local media at the time that he reacted after Akash deliberately kicked him in the groin and got into his car. He was also fined 100 euros.